Re: Wiring Harness to Radiator

Brad Sterling wrote: (some stuff I edited)
> reinstalling everything when I notice just how screwed one
> of the wires to my wiring harness is.  The casing is all cracked and the
> wires are turning green.  Specifically, this is the wiring that connects the
> radiator fan to the radiator thermo switch to the relay.
> is this wiring
> group unique to the 16V, the Scirocco, or all MkI VWs?  In case I have to
> head off to the pick-a-part, I'll need to know.  I'd prefer not to splice my
> own, but if I have to...
>
> TIA.
>
> -Brad
> '86.5 Scirocco 16V

It's my _limited_ understanding (I'm a Mk1 guy) that one of the best
thing you could do IS splice your own wires. This is not meant to have
you replace the whole loom, just to run juice from the battery to the
thermo switch to the fan and back to battery ground. Along the way might
be the relays you mentioned (always a good idea. Let the relay handle
the load.) as well as taking A/C into account (if you have it)- since I
believe turning on the A/C will run the fan at least at the lowest
speed.

You got a Bentley, right?  Get out the clip board and trace them there
wires and replace them.

You can do it.

TBerk