Re: Fw: Hare of a P.U.

If in fact he did have a TDI, he had would have had a minimum 90hp, 145
ft/lb@1900 rpm - stock specs for the 96-98/early 99 TDI.  The newer North
American TDI has an extra 5 or so ft/lb.  These motors can be chipped to
115hp/ 195 ft/lb.  The stock TDI in my 99 A3 Jetta does fly, courtesy of
all the torque way down low (and it's flat to hp peak.)  With super-tall
gearing, the A3 Jetta TDI has a top speed of 106mph, if memory serves.

The TDI swap is tricky for a few reasons - #1 it's fly-by-wire computer
controlled, so there'd be a lot of work (a donor car would be pretty much
the only way to go).  #2 it uses an 02a cableshift transaxle - so an
adapter for an 020 or some work to get the cableshift working would be
required.

A popular swap for a lot of diesel heads is to use the IDI 1.9 Turbo
diesel block (A3 Golf/Jetta) which are now more readily available.  This
is the regular indirect injection (read:precombustion chamber) diesel
design in a 1.9 tall block disguise.  I believe stock hp is 75 or 77,
don't remember torque.  I had a 97 Golf with this motor, it moved OK, but
was nothing like the TDI.  People are getting upwards of 90hp with boost
and fuel mods on this powerplant I believe.

I dream of a TDI Corrado SLC.

Merry Christmas to all...

On Thu, 23 Dec 1999, Randy B wrote:

> I'll try to send this again, either it got fried on my end
> or MSN screwed up again.
> I apologize if multiple copies get posted.
>

> >Thought you might get a kick out of this.
> >
> >     I was heading to work today in my 81 Scirocco S
> >with the tt1847cc and got behind a dark blue Rabbit P.U.,
> >slightly lowered with early GTI wheels. I noticed that he
> >had a shiny TDI emblem on the tailgate and I thought
> >to myself "how cute". As we were getting onto a two
> >lane freeway entrance to Northbound 101 in Mt. View
> >at about 30mph I decided to drop it into 2nd and go
> >around. To my utter astonishment he realized what I
> >was about to do and abruptly blew me into the weeds.
> >When I started to merge onto the freeway I still had my
> >foot to the floor, was doing about 80mph and he was
> >about 7 car lengths ahead of me. Due to complete
> >embarrassment I did not attempt to catch him and
> >within about a mile he was lost from view.
> >     "HOLY SHIT" were the only two words on my mind
> >the rest of the way to work. Granted my tt is not a rocket
> >ship but it has taken out a few fat piped civics, and other
> >wanna-be racers on the street. This truck was a true
> >Q-ship running on DIESEL FUEL. damn! I used to own a
> >diesel Rabbit PU, and lost a lot of drag races to the likes
> >of Yugo, Winnabego, Peterbuilt, Mac, you get the picture.
> >If he really had a TDI in that truck, what a hell of an engine.
> >     For all you Bay Area listeners out there watch out for this
> >truck, you might find yourself sucking up diesel fumes.
> >
> >Randy B.
> >Cosmos Silver 1981 VW Scirocco S - 2.0L 16V
> >Mars Red 1981 VW Scirocco S - t t 1847cc

Drew MacPherson, Network Analyst, University of Guelph

drew@dyermaker.cs.uoguelph.ca           |  visit the Massey-Harris page:
http://dyermaker.cs.uoguelph.ca/~drew   |  http://m-h.cs.uoguelph.ca