Scirocco versus Corrado Comparison

I test drove a '91 automatic G60 Corrado, which made
an interesting comparison with my 16V Scirocco.  My
first impression was that it was more remote and grown
up than my 'rocco.  The power steering was much
lighter and not so positive.  Sitting in the Corrado
is also rather like sitting in a bathtub - the window
lines are much higher and the rear visibility is
nowhere near so good - it reminds you how good
visibility is in the 'rocco.  Those are the negatives.
 On the positive side it's a quantum leap in
refinement and ride and offers better roadholding.
It's one of those cars where you don't notice how fast
you're going and cornering until you look at the
speedo, unlike the 'rocco.  I also expected the
automatic to be a dog, as I generally hate four
cylinder automatics.  But it was quite delightful.  It
shifted very crisply and seemed at least as fast as my
'rocco, if not faster.  Another factor here is that
the Corrado five speed manual is allegedly not as good
as the Scirocco's.

I was very tempted to buy it to replace the 'rocco but
I'm still trying to negotiate the price down.  I still
love the 'rocco but as I get older and busier I've
become more interested in a less stressful mount.  The
'rocco has aged badly in comparison to current cars in
terms of refinement, if not in vehicle dynamics.  I'll
keep you guys posted.

Wayne C.