My blasted '81 16v and its issues

<x-flowed>>>Yeah, Brian helped me out greatly with my conversion. The problem is
>>with the car's wiring, though, not the converting of engines. I
>>could get into the nitty gritty if you want via email...
>
>I remember some of your posts....something about the fuel pump not
>running or something?

Yeah.. the deal is this:

The CIS-E computers are given power via the power wire coming from the fuse
box to the coil positive terminal (terminal 15).

When the computers switch on, they tell the fuel pump relay to do its thing
and prime.

Well, for a while the fuel pump wasn't priming when the key was turned to
the 'on' position, but...

Then, it did prime, but only when power was taken _away_ from that
circuit..as in disconnecting the terminal 15 power from the computers made
the fuel pump prime.

But now, it primes when you apply power, AND when you take power away.

The result: No spark anywhere when the starter cranks. Not at the end of the
plug, not at the primary wire taken off the distributor touching engine
ground. no nothing.

The computers are properly grounded.. But, some guy tipped me off saying he
heard of this guy having the same problem in a Jetta where water leaked in
somewhere and caused a bad ground.

I don't know where to look for this bad ground. Everything I've looked at is
properly grounded... This is where I'm at now.

>I have all the digests on my computer at work.

And my friends call me a sicko. hehe..

>>>CT isn't all THAT far away...I'd consider it, once I get mine going.
>>
>>How far is not that far away?
>
>I'm in Rochester, NY.

Hey, you're one of those Kodak guys, right? 1-800-242-2424? I work at a
camera shop.. =) And if you're not, then nevermind!

Thanks,
-Dave
'81 Scirocco 16v
'87 Subaru GL 4WD Wagon