From: Jean-Claude Desinor <desinor@ibm.net>
To: <scirocco-l@scirocco.org>
Subject: RE: Car won't start...sometimes
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 1999 21:11:42 EST

** Reply to note from <aaron@makuta.com> Tue, 14 Dec 1999 08:27:45 -0500

   Oh yes, me too ...

   I had it with my 77 Rabbit, way back too long ago. The engine would
actually stop, initially after driving through a puddle (!), then just to
drive me nuts, when I stopped at a traffic light, while turning, etc.

   I was so used to that happening that I automatically reached for the
ignition key when it happened, switched it quickly on and off. Then one
day, I just touched the keychain and the car restarted.

   The next day I had a new ignition switch.

   And now there is nothing but some VW trinket hanging on my car
keys.

 > This isn't the first time I've heard of the keychain thing, although I
 > don't recall the details. It's been a looong time. However, IIRC it had
 > to do with some of the late '80s Jettas or something. I think it was
 > some magazine article I read when I was in high school, before I had
 > a car. I think they were saying that if you do enough driving with a
 > heavy keychain, the car in question would have excessive wear in
 > the ignition switch and you would get a break that would cause an
 > intermittent no-start condition for a while, and it would get worse over
 > time if you didn't fix it. Sorry I don't remember the details, but I know
 > I've heard about it, and I believe it had to do with a VW.

   Jean-Claude
   ICQ: 47403427

   84 8v, 251 000 + Km, hibernating

file attached: warning-fbi.txt/469 bytes

|ID-99032178  Subject: Jacobsen Pete|
|FBI Record of Aliases and Sightings|
|Fluid WD       http://Fast.to/Fluid|
|Profile    http://come.to/myprofile|