RE: Car won't start...sometimes

<x-charset ISO-8859-1>** Reply to note from <aaron@makuta.com> Tue, 14 Dec 1999 08:27:45 -0500

  Oh yes, me too ...

  I had it with my 77 Rabbit, way back too long ago. The engine would
actually stop, initially after driving through a puddle (!), then just to
drive me nuts, when I stopped at a traffic light, while turning, etc.

  I was so used to that happening that I automatically reached for the
ignition key when it happened, switched it quickly on and off. Then one
day, I just touched the keychain and the car restarted.

  The next day I had a new ignition switch.

  And now there is nothing but some VW trinket hanging on my car
keys.

> This isn't the first time I've heard of the keychain thing, although I
> don't recall the details. It's been a looong time. However, IIRC it had
> to do with some of the late '80s Jettas or something. I think it was
> some magazine article I read when I was in high school, before I had
> a car. I think they were saying that if you do enough driving with a
> heavy keychain, the car in question would have excessive wear in
> the ignition switch and you would get a break that would cause an
> intermittent no-start condition for a while, and it would get worse over
> time if you didn't fix it. Sorry I don't remember the details, but I know
> I've heard about it, and I believe it had to do with a VW.

  Jean-Claude
  ICQ: 47403427

  84 8v, 251 000 + Km, hibernating