race results

*sigh*

My car's not fast enough.

It's one of those soggy overcast days here in Ohio -
perfect for solving the question that's been on our minds
for a couple of months.  (Ours being both Ben Harder and
myself)  The question was - which Mk 1 is fastest?  Ben has
recently installed a JH engine from an '84 GTI into his '81
Scirocco.  It was not an extensive rebuild, but he did have
the head shaved slightly.  He also had 1/2 tank of gas, no
rear seats and a stock exhaust.  My '80 S has a 1.8 RD
engine from an '86 GLi, no rebuild, K&N filter, stock
exhaust from a later Scirocco (slighly larger than Ben's)
full interior and 1/4 tank of gas.  Ben was running 14"
Goodyears, while I had 15" AVS Intermediates.

I was not particularly happy that I could *NOT* pull on Ben
at ALL on our little drag race down the runway next door.
(yes, we got permission first)  At least he wasn't pulling
on me either.  We raced about 1/2 the length of the runway
(runway is 3500 ft.) and let off at the top of 3rd gear
(around 80 mph)  We decided to try it one more time, this
time with a 3rd party videotaping.  Ben botched his 1st to
2nd shift, but after he hooked back up, it was the same
thing - I could NOT lose him.

I really thought I would have pulled on him, however
slightly, but I didn't.  Hmmm...   guess I'm gonna have to
do some more work.  Watch this space for details on the rematch!

=====
Daun Yeagley
'79 Scirocco    <---For sale  :(
'80 Scirocco S
'81 Rabbit Pickup
'85 Scirocco 8v
'88 Scirocco 16v
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."  - Dave Barry