Re: front wheel bearing question

--- "Mr. Eddy" <eperson@students.uiuc.edu> wrote:
> Mine are trashed too and I'm getting ready to do this
> over christmas.  I
> think the bearings run from $20-25 each.

Yep, 'bout right.

  I think I'm
> going to take off the
> whole upright because i dont have "the tool" and its $120
> for it.  I would
> like to know if anyone has done the job this way and how
> hard is it?

I've recently done this and it's not too difficult.

  Do i
> need the tie rod splitter tool?

My tie-rods just popped off, though they can sometimes be
pretty stubborn.  I've had to use a sledgehammer on a parts
car or two, I don't particularly recommend doing this
though.  (Well, that's what the Bentley sez...)

> Otherwise it seems easy, two bolts on strut, lower
> control arm ball joint,
> drive shaft, brake caliper, and tie rod.

Sounds about right.

  The only part I
> dont know how to
> do is the tie rod.

Remove the cotter key (make sure to have a new one handy
for re-installation) and simply loosen the nut.

  Anybody have any info on this?
> Oh yea, you will need an alignment if you do it this way.

Definatly.  Which reminds me, I need to go do that so I
don't start chewing snow tires when I put 'em on.

HTH!

=====
Daun Yeagley
'79 Scirocco    <---For sale  :(
'80 Scirocco S
'81 Rabbit Pickup
'85 Scirocco 8v
'88 Scirocco 16v
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."  - Dave Barry