RE: Bad Starts!

Sal Guzzo wrote:

>I finally replaced the ground straps on my Rabbit today.
>
>I started up the car with the assistance of a boost and it started no
>problem.  I took the car out for a 5 minute drive and let it idle
>for a bit.  I shut her down, and she restarted without any problems.
>
>HOWEVER, after a coupla more tries it was over.  It would no
>longer start.
>
>Coupla things that I became aware of.
>
>First, tach doesn't work.

OK, I think the problem might lie in the connection to the instrument
cluster. I have never experienced this myself, but I've heard that if
the instrument cluster is not there, then the battery won't charge.
Something about the battery warning light acting as a switch to turn on
the charging system. Check all those connections, and clean them real
well. Possibly there is a bad connection than impairs charging.

FWIW, I've always heard that after given a boost to start a car, you
should let yours run at least 20min to make sure that the battery
recharges fully.

The problem is definitely in the charging, but since the alternator is
known to have worked great in another car, that leaves the instrument
cluster thing, and possibly having poor electrical connections from
alt-starter-battery. I bet on the first.

>Second, the full throttle switch isn't working.
>
>Third, my fuel pump runs constantly when the key is turned.

These are both consistent with electrical gremlins. Check continuity
between the switch and the other end of the wire. I believe one is +12V
when ignition is "on," and the other goes into the Jetronic Box. Check
the bentley's wiring diagram for the pin# and where else it goes.

For the fuel pump, check the relay, maybe someone put in a different
kind, that doesn't shut off. Other than that I have no idea.

Also, I don't think the dented coil is causing this problem, as it starts
fine when given a boost.

HTH

Jonas
85 Scirocco 2.0