diagnose this. . . electrical malady

Hello folks,

Had a problem today after I replaced an O2 sensor.
It's an '87 16v scirocco.  The car ran great. . . and
then, it died. . . RPM's did a couple of up/down
numbers. .. went down to 0 and then bounced back up
and then died.  Used to do it periodically, but it
would always only be for a split second and come back
to life.  Here's what I think happened.  Those who are
knowledgeable about this fuel injection system please
correct me if I'm wrong.

When I got the car, the O2 sensor was putting out a
12v signal because it was crossed with the heater
element wires. . . may have had adverse effects on the
brain.  I uncrossed the wires, but the sensor may have
been FUBAR which explains my sudden power gains.
After I uncrossed the wires, I don't think the O2
sensor was working so it was putting out 0 volts
making the car run rich.  Which explains my
not-so-passing-smog scenario.  CO is way high and
Hydrocarbins are real high as well.  I suspect the
brain got damaged from the 12 volt shock causing
problems now. . . right when I replaced the o2 sensor
with a good one that's putting out a good fluctuating
signal.

And now, my other problem. . . recently replaced the
catalytic converter with the TT downpipe/cat unit.
Are these things supposed to glow red and smoke?  It
was doing fine for a while. . . until I replace the o2
sensor. . . could the anti-seize compound on the
sensor threads have gotten into the cat and made it
burn up?  I'm thoroughly confused.  Good thing is, if
it's doing stuff it's not supposed to, I should be
able to get a new one under some kind of common sense
warranty 'cause the shop I bought it from is friends
with the a TT guy.  Sorry 'bout the long post, hope
some of you can help out.

thanks,
'Chung