Death of a Scirocco

Hey all.  I have some bad news I'd like to share with everyone.
My silver '84 8v has finally died.  I should have known it was coming,
but it had been behaving itself lately.  I went out this morning to
start her up, remove the 3 inches of snow that covered her.  Warmed her
up, started down the road to work.  I made sure I didn't over-rev it or
anything, it wasn't quite warm yet.  Going down the interstate, not 2
miles from home, everything was normal.  Engine temp, oil temp, no
blinking lights, nothing.  All of a sudden, there was a low whooshing
sound, and I looked in the rear view mirror to see a plume of white
smoke being ejected from the back of the car.  I pushed the clutch in as
soon as I saw it, not knowing what was going on.  I looked at the tach,
and it was dead.  The engine had died.  I pulled over, shut it off, and
tried to restart it.  All I got was a 'thunk', the starter gear engaging
the flywheel, but other than that, nothing.  No crank, no other noises,
nada.  I got to work, got home, towed it home, and parked it.  I haven't
had time to look at it yet, but I know there are no leaking fluids, oil
level is good, everything seems to check out.  I assume the engine
siezed, but why is a mystery as of yet.  My current plans are to store
it over the winter and see what happens in the spring.
Help me mourn the loss of my car, and hope for a recovery soon.
Nate
Ex-'84 8v