RE: Intake Manifold Removal

WaspHwy wrote:
> 84 wolfie 8v. is there an easy way to get the
>injectors out w/o using the special tool? how many bolts/nuts
>hold it on? what is the easiest way to do it? tia

You don't need to pull the injectors to get the IM off. The injectors are
in the head. The $6 tool is by far the easiest way to do this, and well
worth it.

There are 6 allen bolts that hold the IM onto the head. They are 6mm
allen, and they are on the bottom end of the IM. The problem is that
with the Exhaust Manifold still in place the 6 bolts are tricky to get
to, especially if you've never seen the bolt pattern. The easiest way to
get it off is when the head is out of the car. :-) But that might be a
little more trouble than you were looking for.

I use a 6mm allen socket for a 3/8" drive ratchet. The greatest $5 tool I
ever bought. Remove the intake hoses, etc. to get better access from the
driver's side. Work from both the passenger's side and the driver's
side. Be patient, and whatever you do, Don't strip the bolts. Make sure
your allen wrench is seated all the way before you tighten. IME, these
bolts often get VERY tight after 15+ years.

The bolt pattern is grouped into two sets of 3 bolts. One group on each
side. Furthermore,  the bolts alternate between long and short bolts.
Basically like this

     TB(manifold )
        s L s   L s L
            *
This is as seen from the Back of the engine. L is for Long bolt, s is for
short. The * indicates the bolt that is the most difficult to reach,
IME.

HTH

Jonas
85 Scirocco 2.0