Re: Flash Silver Rear US Bumper Cover (need advice)

archive@porknet.fdns.net wrote:

> 7) Settle with insurance, get money. Use money to buy euro bumpers. Long
>    wait, I'll have to find silver euro bumpers (hard) or switch to black
>    (not preferred), plus I don't particularly like euro bumpers. They look
>    great, they loose weight, and thats all wonderful. But they're 1)
>    expensive, 2) less likely to be fixed or replaced when damaged, 3) not
>    covered by insurance in an accident, 4) not legal, 5) not designed to
>    protect the car chassis as much.

I feel your pain.. but I'd say this is a NO-BRAINER - it's time for
euro bumpers, period.

The US bumpers don't protect you all that well anyways.  Sure, they'll
resist a 3-5 mph straight-on bump and the euro's won't, but anything
much more serious than that is still gonna screw up the car.

Not legal?  Don't be so sure.  I don't know about Canada, but here
in California, which generally has VERY restrictive vehicle laws,
all you need is anything resembling a bumper and you're legal.
It wouldn't be legal for VW to sell a NEW car with a lesser bumper,
but as far as the owner putting something else on, that's no
problem.

Lose the park benches!  This is your big chance.  I'll bet you'd
be happy in the long run...

Oh yeah - find that guy's GF and kick HER ass!!

-kc-
'99 GTI GLX
'86.5 Scirocco 16V 2.0