Replacing Engines....

How many of you have replaced an 8V engine with a G60 or VR6 Engine?

This is something that I am saving up for...I'm guessing that I'd need about
US$4000 for an engine, transmission, and installation.  Is that a good
guess?

I'd like to hear from those of you who have done this....so I can find out
what to expect.

Or, do any of you in California know of a VW shop that could take care of
everything, including finding all the parts and then making it work?  By all
the gods, that would be nice!

All the best,
-Norm