Re: Audi 2L conversion - HELP!

What you want is a block from an Audi 80. The applicable years are between 1990
and '93, I believe. As for mounting it up, simply bolt the head on! You'll also
need to either swap in your VW distributor or use the Audi's (which requires a
knock sensor conversion). If you elect to eschew the knock sensor and keep it
simple, you'll still need the drive gear off the bottom of the Audi's
distributor because the VW unit is the wrong size. Similarly, the hole in the
block is too big to accomodate the VW distibutor. Therefore you'll have to have
a plate machine to take it. I either got mine from Techtonics or Shine Racing
Service. I forget which...

All in all it is a simple and very effective swap. It makes marginally less
torque as the VW tallblock 2.0l 8v motor but it does spin up faster and have
more upper hp potential due to the shorter stroke. Installed in a very light
car, this is the way that I'd go. In fact, this is exactly what is installed in
the Warpig.

One warning, though, my engine definitely pings when it is really hot out -even
when running Sunoco 94 octane in it. So far there have been no problems, but
I'm going to try a few tricks to calm it down a bit. I'd make totally sure that
your cooling system is working optimally and that you've got a cold air
induction system rigged. I don't; I'm inhaling hot engine air which will
significantly increase the potential to ping.

Well, do it to it!!!

--
Scott F. Williams
NJ Scirocco nut