Freeze plug installation

One of the freeze plugs is missing from the rear of the engine in my 'rocco.
It's the one in the center, and I don't think it was driven in this
condition, because although it doesn't run well yet, I think the head and
head gasket are still good (can't find my compression gauge to verify).  I
got a new one and was trying to put it in last night, and I was having an
awful time because it kept popping out every time I hit it.  The exhaust
manifold is fairly close, so I don't have a lot of room to swing a hammer in
there.  I ended up tapping with the side of the hammer, but I wasn't able to
get the plug in.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to do this without removing the
exhaust manifold or engine?  I really need to get this thing on the road so
I can sell my truck, and this is one of the last obstacles.

Aaron
'70 Bug - hibernating
'84 Scirocco - Woo-hoo!
Sand rail - SOLD!!!