RE: GL, GTI Etc.

GL=Grand Luxury or Gold Line or Grande Luxe, GT=Grand Tourer or Gran
Turismo, GTI=Grand Tourer Injection, SLC=Sport Lux. Coupe (I think),
GTX = no idea what the X means.... the possibilities are endless
Their meaning varies from territory to territory - the Corrado SLC doesn't
exist in the VW line-up in the UK - it was just plain old VR6.
Some seemed to be used only on certain models - anything ending TX is
generally only scirocco or Jetta (golf I&II saloon)

Ewan Hopkins.