steering column

Seems I recall a discussion a while back about using those little plastic
zip-tie thingies (what are those called?) to fix some malady in or around
the steering column.  Was it like what happened to me?

I noticed increased vibration in the steering wheel the other day.  Looking
around, I eventually discovered that a roller bearing cage had apparently
slid out of its place inside the steering tube and is now down at the bottom
of the column near the u-joint, along with a little plastic ring piece that
appears to have once played a role in retaining the roller bearing cage.

Has anyone had any luck with getting that thing back up where it belongs
short of the process described in the Bentley?

Thanks,
Jeff Wheeler
'82 8v