RE: fan switch problem

I don't have the wiring diagrams in front of me, but if my memory is
correct, then the dual temperature fan switch wiring is like this. The
lower of the two temp switches is wired to the fan motor through a big
resistor. That way, the fan turns slower when only the low temp switch
in on. The higher temp switch is wired to the fan relay, which then
makes a connection to the fan. The AC switch also activates this relay,
making the fan run at full speed whenever the AC is on, or when the high
temp switch is on.

So, from the problem you're describing, I have the following conclusion.

1:  The relay is fine, since the AC switch makes the fan go on.
2:  The problem is in the fan switch/wiring.

Check that everything is connected, and that the wires are not frayed,
shorted out, etc, If that is all fine, check the switch. Check for (I
think) continuity at high temps (just don't burn your hand :-] ). Or you
could just try and replace the switch and see if it fixes it, if not,
you've got a spare. :-)

HTH

Jonas
85 Scirocco