Oil Pan Removal

> << The bolts that hold the oil pan on are super close to the tranny, if I
>  remember right.
>  What name brand of socket are you guys using to get in there?  I'm pretty
>  sure my craftsman socket doesn't do the trick.
>   >>

You will need a long thin extension and a swivel head socket to get off one of
the bolts that are near the transmission. Every other one should come off
without any special tools.

I had to change my oil pan twice when I had my Diesel Jetta, it is a pain in the
ass but anybody should be able to do this because it is quite simple to do. Be
sure and use a gasket sealer like permatex on the seal when you put it back on!

-Marc

> I have been wanting to change my leaky pan gaskett for 3 years now.  I refuse
> to pay someone to do somthing that looks so easy.  But I too have not been
> able to figure out how to remove those bolts under that tranny, bell housing
> type thing.  Anyone? Anyone?  Bueller?

-Marc

'74 VW Thing - http://getty.net/thing/ FORSALE in Philly!
'81 Jetta Diesel gone to the scrap heap after 178,000 miles
'84 Jetta GLi SLC with only 164,275 miles
'87 Scirocco 16V with 165,000 Miles, just got it on 7/2/99