RE: Oil Pump ?

You may be able to use a diesel oil filter.  The setup on the '84 golf
diesel looks the same as the injection scirocco, i.e. watercooled oil cooler
with the filter going on the bottom of the oil cooler.  There is a separate
filter listed for the diesel and the part no. for the piece that the oil
cooler fits over and the filter screws onto is slightly different so it
would be worth checking.

Ewan Hopkins