Re: autoX tires - what's best?

On Fri, 20 Aug 1999 22:22:25 -0400 "the mad bastard"
<the-mad-bastard@home.com> writes:

>hey autoX lovers out there.  if i was to get me a set of 14" rims and
>wanted some sticky R compounds for them, what would be the best rubber
>to get?

Hmm. Its not that cut and dry of a question.

You want the ultimate fastest tire, probably the Hoosiers. They are
expensive and dont last very long but they have the most ultimate grip.

BFG R1's are cheaper, have ALMOST the grip of the hoosiers and last a
little longer.

Kuhmo's are the cheapest and are reportedly as fast as the R1's and last
alot longer.

There still Yokohama A008's out there somewhere. They're a decent tire,
slowest of all the tires but better than street tires.

Now, if your new to the autox scene, you probably should get a more
affordable tire that you can destroy while learning how to drive and not
feel bad.

You might consider finding a used set to get your feet wet with. I ran my
first 2 years on used tires. I didnt know how slow I was going until I
bought my first set of NEW R1's. They lasted me a year. (Autoxing in the
SD and Cal Club regions. Figure 24 events + schools and practice days. I
got alot of runs on that set.) Good tire. I hear teh Hoosiers dont last
very long and i'll find out as soon as I find a set of 13X9 wheels to
mount them on. :)

              Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi           82' Scirocco GTi
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and