Re: Rev Limiter

At 3:03 pm -0700 16/8/99, dcewing1 wrote:
>     When I first joined the list there was a thread finishing up on how
>to  disable the rev limiter.  >I have a 1.8L 16v now and I've never had
>the V/C  off so I don't know if there are cams for sure, >but I was told
>there probably  was some type of performance cam installed and it also
>runs >like it has a  cam.  I am also upgrading to a 2.0L with ported and
>polished head, intakes,  TB, >portmatched intakes, exhaust, Cams, etc and
>would like to know how to  disable the rev >limiter.  The 1.8L set up I
>have now seems to sag off at  around 6500rpm and up to that point >seems
>like it wants to run stronger at  higher RPM!  Please let me know!   Dave

I'm kinda curious about this myself... I know you can replace the fuel pump
relay with a jumper wire and get rid of the fuel cutoff, but even after
doing that my car refused to rev past about 7400.  It hits 7400 and just
shuts down, much like in some other rev limited cars I've driven.  After
talking to my local VW-speed-addict-mechanic, I found out that somethign in
the ignition just isn't capable of working at those rpms.  It's gotta be a
CIS-E thing though - my GF's car runs motronic with the european CIS fuel
injection bits and it spins up to 8 grand no problem.  Possible fixes?  I
think you gotta either go the Motronic route or else get an earlier Polo
distributor, which apparently will work fine at 8krpm.  We'll see...