SV: Performance Cooling Solutions

> First off, I believe the lines above by Roland Johansson above are incorrect.
> The thermostat when completely removed from a Scirocco, just like my Jetta,
> will cause major problems. There are two paths through the engine, one that
> the coolant flows through when the thermostat is closed, the other when it is
> open. Coolant is actually pumped through the engine when the thermostat is
> closed, but through a very short path, when the thermostat is open the coolant
> is pumped throughout the entire system. If you remove the thermostat entirely,
> most of it will take the path of least resistance and take a short path
> through the engine and not to the radiator. If I am incorrect about this,
> please let me know!

You are correct above that there are a shorter path only through the motor when thermostat is closed, but removing the thermostat gives less flow resistans in the longer loop.

You can easily test this at home if you have an old waterpump, mount it so you can pour water through it. Heat up the thermostat so it opens fully, measure the time it takes for one liter of boiling water to pass trough the thermostat, do the same without thermostat.

Roland Johansson, Swedish Viking
Scirocco 1,6l RSi -82
Http://hem.passagen.se/toker