alternator question

I just put a new alternator in my 80. I went from a 65 amp to a 90 amp
to power all my stereo equipment. It was a cheapo rebuilt unit under 100
bucks. The Bosch unit was $180. Anyway the problem is now the battery
light comes on at times really faint and kind of flutters. Never gets
real bright and the voltmeter is reading well over 12 volts so I know
the battery is getting a charge. So, whats causing the light to blink
faintly? Also when I changed the alternator my old one had the three pin
connector. The new one had the two post connector. I had to cut off the
old plastic connector and attach the wires to the new one. It had the
one small wire that I connected right and two power wires. These I wired
up to the big post (B+) together. Is this right? Everything else is
alright so far. Anyone know what the deal is? Voltage regulator?

clueless
Feenix...
80 1.8