Re: Will I bend the valves?

On Thu, 12 Aug 1999 09:28:42 -0500 "Aaron Ness" <Aaron@makuta.com>
writes:
>I've gotten conflicting information on this subject.  If my timing belt
>breaks on my 8V engine, will I smash things?  I've heard that the 8V
engines
>won't be a problem, but that the 16V will.  I've also heard that either
>engine will be a problem.  What's the list concensus?

Heres the real deal.
STOCK 8v motors will not make constact with the pistons if the timming
belt breaks. (Its a high clearance motor.) All stock 16V motors will
damage valves if the timming belt breaks and the engine is running. Thats
just the basics of life on VW motors.
HOWEVER!
If you suspect your head has been rebuilt, chances are good that the head
was shaved. If the head was shaved enough, the valves WILL make contact
with the pistons when the belt breaks.

              Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi           82' Scirocco GTi
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and