Re: rear cover

At 6:38 pm -0400 9/8/99, Captnbr@aol.com wrote:
><< The dealer wants an awful lot of money for a piece of
> carpet-covered cardboard and I keep coming up empty looking for used ones.
> If this is a stupid question forgive me. >>
>
>I bet a nice one of these could be made after a trip to Home Depot.  May be
>worth looking into.
>
>Brian 86 16v

I've made 3 of them so far, all with different designs on them instead of
the basic black carpet.  Here's what you need:
- wood - either MDF or plywood or whatever you feel like using.  Might as
well make it thicker than stock to cut down on noise coming from the trunk.
- carpet - I use the type of carpet you get from car audio shops.  Not a
perfect match for the carpet on the side 'shelves' but WTF.
- lastly you need something to reinforce the thing so that it doesn't sag
in the middle.  I have swapped the 3 stock rods over to the new panel,
which is somewhat time consuming but works well and is great for that OEM
look.  On the last one I made I glued lengths of aluminum L-section to the
underside of the panel.  I had a friend weld a rod on either end of one of
them so that the panel would snap into the clips that let it pivot up and
down.  Works great, looks even better! :)