Re: Idle questions about my '84

Aaron Ness wrote:

> My Scirocco came to me a few weeks ago on a flatbed truck.  The dash was
> out, the alternator was off, and it didn't have a battery.  I got a battery
> and got it running (still have the alt. off so I can get to the timing belt)
> last night. Now I can turn the key and it fires right up, but the idle
> speed is pretty high.  I haven't measured it yet, but it's up there.  It
> also misses a little.

The Alt will put a little drag on the engine, so that may bring it down
some when you get it back in. PS- Not having the Instrument Cluster in
means the Alt won't charge the battery, when you get around to all that.

> I haven't driven it yet, so I can't give any more information yet.  I have
> to make a battery hold-down bracket and check out the brakes, and then I'll
> take it for a spin.  Maybe I'll even put the dash back in.
>
> Thanks in advance for any input!
>
> Aaron

FYI comment re battery bracket; the VWs don't use on of those rod n'
bracket things to grab ahold of the top of the battery, they use a small
steel plate and bolt to pinch the bottom of the battery's lower lip.
hth. (I mention this in case you discover the PO _has_ included it w/
the car.)

An air leak in the Intake side of things could have lead to the
maladjustment that is leading to fouled plugs and the too high idle.
Check for cracks in the rubber boot on the fuel dist. and the accordion
part at the throttle body, the vacuum lines, etc.

hth,
TBerk