Idle questions about my '84

My Scirocco came to me a few weeks ago on a flatbed truck.  The dash was
out, the alternator was off, and it didn't have a battery.  I got a battery
and got it running (still have the alt. off so I can get to the timing belt)
last night.  The hall effect sensor connector was all corroded, so I wasn't
getting a spark.  I cleaned it up, and about 5 rounds of ether brought it
out of its coma.  Now I can turn the key and it fires right up, but the idle
speed is pretty high.  I haven't measured it yet, but it's up there.  It
also misses a little.  I bought the Bosch triple electrode Cu plugs that my
VWFLAPS had listed as OE for the engine, but I haven't installed them yet.
It came to me with Champions - they have to go soon!

Anyway, I've heard Rabbits from the same era sitting at stoplights with the
same high idle, so I would guess this is a fairly common thing.  Also, my
plugs are black, indicating a rich mixture.  I suppose this fouling could be
the cause of the miss, but I wouldn't expect them to turn black immediately
and cause it to miss immediately after startup.

I haven't driven it yet, so I can't give any more information yet.  I have
to make a battery hold-down bracket and check out the brakes, and then I'll
take it for a spin.  Maybe I'll even put the dash back in.

Thanks in advance for any input!

Aaron
'70 Bug - hibernating
'84 Scirocco - Woo-hoo!
Sand rail - for sale or trade in Columbus, IN
'87 Nissan truck - Soon to be for sale