Re: power steering conversion

At 12:09 PM 8/10/99 -0400, Chris M wrote:

> Hi all,
> I have an '82 with manual steering and was wondering if anyone had done a
> power steering conversion on something like this.  What parts are involved?
> I'm thinking that just the rack and the pump/brackets are needed.  Any
> comments?

Yes, I've recently done it.  You will need the power rack, hoses(3), resevoir
and bracket, adn pump with brackets.
You will also need the lower part off the steering column, the part below the U
joint as the ps and manual ones aren't the same.  It would be a good idea to
get new rack bushings and boots while you are at it.  Mine was fairly
easy(except for one bracket wanted to be apin in the ass), but the engine was
out of the car.  It will be much harder, I think, with the engine in the car.
If you have any more questions just email me.  BTW Potterman has the resevoir
brackets,  or you can drill out the spot welds for the windshield resevoir
bracket on a junker-they're the same.

John Worden
Old Town, Maine

'98 Dodge Dakota 4x4
'81 Volkswagen Scirocco(Mk1) soon to be 2.0 16V.  The engine is in/
and all electrical is pretty much done.
'69 MGB- in need of total resoration(needs some front fenders too)