'81 16v conversion: Won't start.

I was already set up for this one. It couldn't possibly start right up
without an incident.

I stuck a 1.8 16v in my '81 Scirocco.

It'll crank just fine.

I disovered the fuel pump wasn't pumping as the engine was cranking. If I
hook power right up to the pump, it pumps fine.

If I jump the pump, and crank the engine, it still doesn't catch. I get an
extreme pressure build-up right before the CIS-E distributor, and it starts
to spray this fine mist of gas everywhere. It shouldn't be pressurized THAT
much.

Are these two problems related?

I did all the elecrical tests on the wiring harness, and everything checked
out Ok. I'm really jonesing to get this thing running.

Thanks in advance... You've all rescued me in the past...