Performance Clutch?

On a rather "spirited" run with some fellow watercoolers here in Mpls, I
burnt out my clutch. At least, I assume it burnt out. I was coming to a
stop sign and couldn't get into first. When I lifted my clutch foot, the
clutch stayed on the floor! After checking to make sure it wasn't a broken
clutch cable, I waited for things to cool off. The clutch pedal came back,
but now when slipping the clutch, it sounds like a bench-grinder! I
managed to get the car home by rev-matching and blowing stop signs. I only
used the clutch twice.

Anyway, what's a good performance-oriented replacement clutch? I'm
assuming I only need the disk and pressure-plate assembly. A "sport
clutch" refers just to the clutch disk, right? Should I just get an OEM
pressure-plate? Basically, I need a laundry-list of parts before starting
the project. Sachs is a name that is mentioned a lot, but I don't know
much more than that. It's an 88 16v, BTW.

Secondly, is this something I could/should attempt myself? My previous
mechanical adventures have included timing belts and motor mounts, but
I've never had to drop a tranny before. Specifically, do I need any
special tools? The Bentley lists several, of course, but on other projects
it hasn't been necessary to have them. How many hours should it take a
good shop to do the work in?

Please help! I don't know how much longer I can drive my GF's Hyundai, and
she acts like a cornered animal when I suggest that I might drive the
Subaru! (I think she's grown rather attached to that car)

Neal
91 Hyundai Excel (ouch...)