Shift linkage questions

I seem to have trouble with my shift linkage.  I'm not familiar with the
linkage and don't know how it works, so any light anyone can shed would be
incredibly helpful.

I got the brakes bled (sort of) and took a drive to the other end of the
culdesac.  The problem is that it's very hard to determine whether I'm in
reverse or first gear.  I didn't get out of second, but the shifting in the
higher gears seems very flaky as well.

Are there parts in the shift linkage that generally wear out and require
replacement, or are there adjustments that can be made without too much
trouble?  I haven't looked much in my Haynes manual yet, but I've found that
the practical knowledge of someone who has solved the problem before is
often much more useful than a manual.

TIA!
Aaron
'70 Bug - hibernating
'84 Scirocco - Woo-hoo!
Sand rail - for sale or trade in Columbus, IN
'87 Nissan truck - Soon to be for sale