starter difficulties

    hey people.  my 16V rocco starter is not starting.  it has been giving
me trouble for quite some time now, like it's becoming more and more
difficult for the starter itself to actually start the car (i.e. it sounds
like it's ready to die)

    anyways, i hooked up my multimeter to my battery to see if it was being
drained at all when i turn the key, and the answer is no.  everything in the
car shuts down when i turn the key, but the starter is not turning over.

    i took the unit out and noticed that it's covered in oil a bit (it seems
that oil is leaking from my tranny?  i dunno)  could that possibly be a
reason for it's untimely death?  any help is much appreciated.  thank-you.

jason
the mad bastard