Power Door Locks, ugh!

Hey,

I ripped apart my driver side door panel today for the first time to take
a peek inside. To my surprise the previous owner had installed 4.5 or 5
inch 2-way mids/tweeters behind the factory speaker grille! The main
reason I took it apart was to install door lock actuators, something I
always do since I hate fumbling with keys. When I pulled back the plastic
liner though, to my surprise there was no familiar metal rod to clamp the
actuator rod to! I scoured the internet and found an article at
driversfound.com on installing power door locks in a scirocco, but it
suggests getting cheap plastic parts from a vw dealer. The nearest VW
dealer is a bit of a drive and I'm slightly doubtful as to whether the
special plastic piece is really needed.

Any suggestions? (no zip ties or duct tape suggestions, please :)

The other thing I tried to do today was install the trunk actuator that I
bought. I watched the mechanism in the car pull a lever inside the frame
when i pushed on the trunk open button. I was hoping I could fit my
actuator snugly inside the rear wiper "lump" and route the cable up the
plastic bulge to the lever. Nope, missed it by about 1/3 of an inch. Is my
only other option putting it in a project box and screwing the box to the
back of the rear wiper? I'd put it in the lower part of the hatch with the
rest of the lock mechanism, but I can't find a way to get inside the frame
without cutting metal, and it would have to round a corner as well.

Thanks,

-Toby

BTW, anyone on the list have a parts car they want to sell stuff off of?
My local junkyard only has one Scirocco and its an '83.

--
'87 Flash Silver Metallic Scirocco 16V