RE: Scirocco audio---recommendations? Kinda long

I just finished up my stereo, and had some thoughts about the speaker
choices being discussed.

Polks do sound smoother than the Boston's, but inside a car, you might
want to have something that cuts a little better through the road
noise.  I've found the rear-fill 4x6's to be virtually useless when
mounted in the stock locations. . .unless people often ride in the
back.  Highs and high mids need to be pointed at the listener a lot
more than bass needs to be.  Has anyone tried mounting speakers on the
side panels in the rear?  I'd like to know what would fit in there
'cause it seems that would be a much better place to put rear fill
speakers.

Another thing that might cause problems with 4x6's all around is a lack
of low mids.  Bass boxes are usually crossed over at 80 htz, and those
poor 4x6's aren't going to make it down that low.  If stock look is of
paramount importance, I'd cut into the metal behind the door panel in
the stock locations and mount a 6" speaker behind the stock grill.
Because we have those front corner windows, there's room down there to
work with.  If you don't mind the look, try component speakers and
mount the tweeters in the door panels right up next to the side air
vents. . . there's only 'bout 1/2" of depth there so if you wanted to
flush mount, you'd have to cut into the metal behind the door panel.  I
surface mounted mine to avoid that.  That would raise the soundstage up
a bit from the floor and make things sound a bit more natural.

There was concern about not having a stereo that hurts the ears. . .
stereo's don't hurt people's ears, people do :)  If you're looking for
clean sound, there's nothing better than lots of headroom.  I prefer to
have my amps be able to produce 2x the RMS rating of the speaker.  This
isn't to make things louder but cleaner, and make the dynamics of the
music come out strong.  There's no such thing as too much power.  If
tuned right, it'll actually make your system safer because speakers
usually blow out as a result of amp clipping due to too little power.
Go to the store demo board sometime and listen for yourself. . . the
same speakers through a more powerful amp at the same general volume
will sound so much more alive and full.

My 2 cents. .. your milage may vary,
'Chung

disclaimer:  My knowledge of sound is pretty ghetto.. .mostly came from
some live sound experience, but the principles seem to transfer over to
car audio pretty readily.