Scirocco audio---recommendations? Kinda long

Sorry 'bout this sinc eI know it has been covered recently.  But,
since scirocco.org dsoesn't have 1999 archives I am asking for advice
on car speakers.  Please respond to me privately so as not to clutter
the list.

OK, I looked at some speakers on Sunday b/c I want to upgrade my
stock sound system.  I have stock front 4x6 and (I think) stock rear
4x6s.  The head unit is a Sony w/ 20 Watts x 4.  I went and bought
some nice Cerwin Vega (sp??) 4x6s yesterday for the front, but the
don't really fit w/o some modification.  I don't want to cut them so I
am going to bring them back.  what do you audio nuts recommend?

Here is what I want:  Nice (subjective) sound--I mean a clean sound
with some nice bass--I don't want the whole block to hear my sound
system, just me inside the car.  I was thinking about getting some
nice front speakers w/ good mid-high range (w/ bass blockers on'em),
some OK speakers for the rear (w/ bass blockers on'em), and then some
kind of bass tube for the rear.  I heard an 8" Bazooka on Sunday, and
it provided plenty o' bass for me.  I like the Bazooka b/c it already
comes w/ an amp built in.  Am I better off buying an 8" subwoofer,
building a box and getting a small amp, and building a box??  Is this
going to be significantly cheaper than the $260 Circuit City wanted
for the 8" Bazooka?  How complicated is the install of a
subwoofer/Bazooka?

I also want to maintain the stock look so I don't want to cut holes
in the hatch cover, or butcher the rear speaker shelf either.

TIA

Victor

I need someone to educate me on car audio since I don't know much.  I
just know what I want - clean sound, nice bass--don't want to go
deaf.