Re: Sad day in 'rocco land......

First of all... figure out if if its CV grease(nasty black thick grease
stuff) or tranny fluid(runny smelly oil like stuff).  If you can tell, that
will make it easier.  Rule # ONE... if the leak is transmission fluid then
fix it ASAP.  Don't let it dry out and toast you whole tranny.  I've been
down that road many many years ago.
1. Look at teh speedo cable. Does it look like the plastic sleeve it is in is
cracked around the bottom where it connects to the tranny?  This is the FIRST
place I'd look. Once it cracks, it leaks.  Replace it.  I suggest Potterman
or Mark.
2. Is the CV boot cracked?  If so, fix it now.
3. Now of course, there is the chance that the tranny fluid is leaking into
the CV joint via the differential seals.  If you follow the driveshaft to the
CV, the differential seals are on the other side of the CV and they are in
that back part of the tranny(called the differential)
4. If you're stilll wondering, clean the area as well as you possibly can.
You might even want to use some brake cleaner to get all of the nasty
grease/grime/oil off of the differential.  Then drive it around the block.
Look for a fresh leak around the diff seal.  If its bad, then replace it. It
requires either a tool or some intellectual MIGHT to do the diff seals with
the tranny in the car.  It shouldnt' cost too much though.  This method may
actually help you to find the fluid leak if its coming from the speedo cable.

GL
Dan May
8716VScirocco
9116VPushitWagon