From: Slink
To: bpotter@ptdprolog.net ; scirocco-l@scirocco.org
Sent: Wednesday, April 28, 1999 12:16 PM
Subject: Re: Things to B done

I was told that vw wasn't making no more 8v clutch disks, and that many dealer are trying to push off the 16v one on owners (calling it either the heavy duty one or the upgrade).

bpotter@ptdprolog.net wrote:

 Look for a trans from an 8V engine.  The trans code is 9A.  These trans come with a lower 5th gear(rpm's will drop aprox. 500).  Other than that the 8V trans is practically identical to the 16V.  When installing an 8V trans on a 16V engine the only thing that needs to be replaced is the clutch disk(8V-$40).  If you try using the clutch disk from the 16V the splines won't match up and the clutch will not engage.
It will be a lot easier finding an 8V trans.  I found mine out of an 86 cabriolet with 72k miles on it for $350.  I could be wrong, but after I put in the 8V trans it seemed like the car pulled harder when accelerating...possibly a little more torque?  Call me crazy. HTH .

Brian Potter
88 Scirocco 16V
98 Audi A4 2.8q

Mike wrote:

        I just cracked open my tranny on my 86 just to see if anything is worn in it while I have it down. I have a couple of gears from the reverse Idler gear missing. Its a 16V tranny. Anyone have a used one for sale in good condition? I am also looking for a lower fifht gear conversion at the same time. I am also curious about the limited slip diff kits that I see for sale. Do they actually help? Would this be a good time to put one in or because I have my tranny all apart is there something better I could do? I just didn't think for a mear $70 that the kit could do that much? What gear would you go with as a final for fifth if you had a choice?