Re: Things to B done

Look for a trans from an 8V engine.  The trans code is 9A.  These trans come with a lower 5th gear(rpm's will drop aprox. 500).  Other than that the 8V trans is practically identical to the 16V.  When installing an 8V trans on a 16V engine the only thing that needs to be replaced is the clutch disk(8V-$40).  If you try using the clutch disk from the 16V the splines won't match up and the clutch will not engage.
It will be a lot easier finding an 8V trans.  I found mine out of an 86 cabriolet with 72k miles on it for $350.  I could be wrong, but after I put in the 8V trans it seemed like the car pulled harder when accelerating...possibly a little more torque?  Call me crazy. HTH .

Brian Potter
88 Scirocco 16V
98 Audi A4 2.8q

Mike wrote:

      I just cracked open my tranny on my 86 just to see if anything is worn in it while I have it down. I have a couple of gears from the reverse Idler gear missing. Its a 16V tranny. Anyone have a used one for sale in good condition? I am also looking for a lower fifht gear conversion at the same time. I am also curious about the limited slip diff kits that I see for sale. Do they actually help? Would this be a good time to put one in or because I have my tranny all apart is there something better I could do? I just didn't think for a mear $70 that the kit could do that much? What gear would you go with as a final for fifth if you had a choice?