Re: brake pad opinion

On Thu, 29 Apr 1999 14:46:34 -0700 the-mad-bastard@home.com writes:
>hey y'all, i know that this is has been done to death, but that don't
>matter...cuz i can't remember what the verdict was.

Dats iate.

>anyways, i went to a place called Frisco's that deals only in audi and
>dub bits, and picked up a set of no-name semi-metallic pads.  total
>cost: $55.  the guy says that he had mintex as well, but they were
>nearly twice as much.  he assured me that these were great pads and
>whatnot, but wouldn't you say the same thing if your next meal depended
>on selling the product?

See, the problem is, he sells shit. He doesn't sound like an enthusiast
who has tried them and other pads and knows for fact they're a good pad
or not. Is he?

>so what say the masses?  are no-name pads a waste of time and money?

For the average everyday commuter driving, probably anything you get will
be just fine. I know you don't drive this way so you should use a worthy
pad.

>should i go with the mintex, or is there something else out there that
>i should be aiming for?  i have the 16V rocco brake setup, BTW.

Ive never used the Mintex pads myself. Know alot of people who have tried
them and didnt like them compared to some of the other pads. Im sure they
work good but must lack some qualities for so many to choose others.

I know a few people who currently use the Mintex pads and thing their
great. They've also never used any other pad so their opinion is somewhat
lacking.

Most everybody I know uses the Ferodo pads. Its a great cold warm/hot/pad
that wont fade as easy as other pads. The ferodo pads wont wear the crap
out of the rotors either. Ive had my first set last me a year and a half
which for me was impressive, They survived probably 40 autox events and
tons of high speed hard braking at *other* events. The rotors were
resurfaced for the new set. Works for me.

>also, the guy had bremi plug wires for sale.  what's the opinion on
>this stuff?  should i do bosch?  he has them in stock, but says that
>they're a waste of money...

Ive come to decide that stock plug wires work just fine. Its all hype
anyways. Bosch plug wires are fine to use. Gee, I wonder why he says
they're a waste of time?? Cost less maybe??

>i'm starting to sway away from the bosch silvers a little bit.

Good idea.

>guy has the silvers, but is telling me to go with beru plugs instead.

Beru's are the same fucking thing, cost more. don't waste your time with
them. if you want a good working plug, get a set of NGK's or Nipondenso
plugs. Im not a fan of Bosch spark plugs since the silbers fucked me
twice.The Bosch platinums have done the same thing to a couple associates
of mine as well so for that reason, I don't use bosch plugs in any of my
cars.
Ive used NGK's and Nipondenso plugs in the past with great success.
(Meaning, they did their job like they're supposed to and didnt fall
apart in the cylinder and fuck up anything.)

              Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi           82' Scirocco GTi
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and