New 16V owner! Long, but good bathroom reading!

Hello fellow 'rocconians,

PROLOGUE
My beloved yellow '82 8V is out of commission (at
least for a long while :(  One of the studs that the
steering rack is bolted to snapped and it looks like a
major b&*ch to fix.

ANYWAY...
THE STORY

Whilst sulking, I looked in the paper and saw an ad
for an '88 16V that read something like: '88 16V
Scirocco. Silver. High miles. Runs. $2495

I always wanted a "Flash Silver" Scirocco, so I call
the owner and she said the car had 181,000(!) miles,
and it had some rust. Ugh.

It happened that she worked about 10 minutes away from
my job, so I thought I'd take a look anyway.  I was
hoping to get the car really cheap, since it probably
was a beater (like I need another project Scirocco!).
I drive to the prearranged meeting place and wait
anxiously.

Then this *shiny* silver 16V drives up and she says,
"Hi, what do you wanna do?"  I opened the passenger
side door and stepped into the most immaculate
Scirocco interior ever (ok, maybe I haven't seen some
of the list's cars...)!  No dash cracks, and the front
seats were in the same condition as the rear ones
(which we all know are rarely used)... She didn't even
mention in the ad that the car had power windows, and
door locks (I didn't know the hatch had power locks,
too).

We park so I can check out the body (the 16v, not the
girl,you sickos :P). The only rust was a quarter sized
patch near the driver's door handle and a business
card sized patch on the pass door, near the bottom,
above the plastic body kit.  The hood was pretty wavy
(it looked like a branch fell on it... she said a
branch fell on it). I also noticed that the muffler
was changed (only one exhaust tip).

She said she changed the oil every 3k (doesn't every
used car seller say that?), and I thought "uh-huh."
Then she added that she had all the maintenance
records, and indeed in the glove compartment were all
the service records from a local VW shop. She had
receipts for a new timing belt, new exhaust, new
brakes, new clutch, and of course, the oil changes.

Finally, we took the car for a spin and it pulled nice
and strong. "That exhaust sounds pretty damn good," I
thought to myself.  Three days and $1900 later, the
car was mine.

EPILOGUE
So now the list has a new 16V owner, but NOT a 16V
convert (hah!).  My 8V is still more fun to drive.
Going really fast and really straight does not
necessarily a fun car make. (hmm, kinda profound, IMO)
The power steering kinda numbs the roads.

Some parting facts:
The 16V pulled a 7.5 (average) with wheelslip 0-60 on
my G-Tech
My yellow 8V (g-grind, techtonics) pulled an 8.4.
Reviewing the maint. receipts in detail, the exhaust
was of the 2.25" Techtonics variety :)

See you at the ND show!

Chris Gonzalez
'82 8V