Re: 16V Ram Air Setup

On Mon, Apr 26, 1999 at 01:19:20AM -0700, Brad Sterling wrote:

>     So here's the question (finally).  If the point of a Ram Air setup
> is to get as much cool air flowing into the air box, why not remove the
> plastic contraption, cap the heater hose, cap that little white hose,
> and connect a 4" diameter flexible hose with a scoop underneath the air
> dam directly to the air box.  Seems this set up would get more air and
> all fresh, cool air into the system.  Any thoughts?  Will it work?
> Would this be an improvement over my current setup?  I realize water
> could be an issue.  But here in So Cal, it's not a problem.

Thats pretty much what I did. I actually completely removed the hot air
system by removing the heat shroud from the manifold, it's only 2 bolts.
be sure to cap the vaccum lines that lead to the plastic contraption after
you remove it. 3-inch hose is the closest size for the stock airbox
fitting, I had to add a few wraps of duct tape so it wedged on securely. I
used aluminum dryer hose, but 3" red-silicon aircraft ducting would be
neat. Racer's Wholesale sells it, but only in 11' lenghts. You can get it
by the foot at www.aircraft-spruce.com

Dan