Transfer pump question ?????

Running again!
    I just replaced the external fuel pump after the untimely death of the previous one.  It runs as before, but my question is if the transfer pump (86 16v) is going bad, or has failed, will the external pump function normally until it goes bad again?  Is there some other symptom that I should look for in case the transfer pump is the culprit of my problems?  I've seen a number of instances of trouble with transfer pump, but I'm not sure that it was the only cause in those cases.

Thanks,
Lloyd