Help with air conditioning

Some Dickhead who owned my car before me removed the A/C compressor
and cut the fat rubber line that goes into it, they also broke off the
other line right at the condenser.  I would eventually like to replace
everything so I have A/C.  I am just assuming I'll need to replace the
condenser, but how about the evaporator?  I have no idea how long it
has been open to the atmosphere, is it safe to assume that it's nicely
rusted out or trashed inside? The reason I ask is because right on the
inside of the firewall, under the dash on the passenger side, there is
a fitting on the end of this line (that was cut).  In theory I could
just replace the line without replacing the evaporator.  Will this
work in reality, or do I need to replace the evaporator?  The other
line (80-300psi) that runs from the bottom of the condenser to the
evaporator appears to be intact, will it be ok?  And what about all of
the little support systems:  Reciever/Drier, Balance tube, capillary
tubes, thermal bulb, and so on.  I would greatly appreciate it if of
you die hards on the list would help me out with my options and such.
I have a used compressor that I plan to use so that is a large expense
I shouldn't have to worry about.  Will this job be all nuts and bolts
or will it require a certian amount of magic??  While I'm yakking I
may as well ask if anybody has these parts that I need, condenser/
evaporator/ nuts and bolts and brackets to install compressor/
whatever lines I'll need, and how much for these goods??

Any help is greatly appreciated

Josh Strait
1988 Scirocco 16v (black)