Re: Massive sudden oil leak: Am I toast?

Might not be the end of your car yet.
Could be darn near anything from broken gasket to well... anything.

Doesn't sound like a thrown rod or anything like that, if the knocking
noise goes away.  My car knocks when the oil level gets low too.

Maybe its just a hole in your oil filter... who knows.  Have a peek -it
can't be that bad.  The car hasn't burst into flame yet :-)

Just my thoughts - which are by no means 100% accurate (some of the
times).