Re: 16v fuel enrichment module (paging Brian Hannold)

> The TT box is very very simple to make yourself.  Here's how it works:
>
> The coolent temperature sensor (CTS) on the side of the cylinder head works
> like a resister that varies it's value with temperature.  As the car warms
> up it changes, the computer reacts to this input (as well as others) by
> changing the current sent to the dynamic pressure regulator (DPR) on the
> back side of the CIS-E fuel distributor.  The TT box works by substituting
> a different resistance value (one indicating a cool engine) for the CTS
> when the full throttle enrichment (FTE) swtich, on top of the throttlebody,
> is activated by the gas pedal.  The TT box does this by tapping the 'cold'
> side of the FTE switch (N/C) so that when the switch closes, 12v flowing
> through the swtich also activates the relay.  The relay is also plugged
> into the CTS, and the harness that the CTS is normally plugged into. Normal
> operation passes the CTS 'signal' to the TT box, through the relay, then
> back down to it's normal harness connector.  When the FTE is activated,
> the relay closes, and a set resistance value (around 1.9-2.2k ohms) takes
> the place of what-ever value the CTS was 'sending'.   This indicates a cold
> engine, the computer increases the DPR current, and less fuel gets sent
> down the return line, which means more fuel gets sent to the injectors.
> Everyone is happy.
>
> Unfortuneately, FTE can happen at any rpm and the engine doesn't always
> 'need' that extra fuel, and over-enrichment at low rpms most definitely
> causes engine bogging.  Which is why I made a box that senses rpms and
> varies the CTS resistance. :)
>
> Is this FAQ material yet?

So there we have it... Well, almost. Could one of you write up a schematic for
this device, so that we could have another really useful article for the
archives?

-Noah
-83 16v Cabbie
-83 Turbo Rocco
-87 8v GTI
see my cars and read about my obsession...
http://forced-induction.autos.webjump.com/
http://home.earthlink.net/~pchandyman/vwclubofdurham/