Re: ? on Breaking in a rebuilt motor

--- Rich Zuk <emt@imcnyc.com> wrote:

> Q:  Okay folks, how should I go about breaking in this motor?
> Q:  Do I continue to use:  Lubro-Moly Anti-friction?   Chevron's Jectron?
> Q: What rpm and speed should I be driving at?
> Q:  How many miles should I break it in for?
> Q:  Since I'm not changing the block seals, should I continue to use 20w-50,
> or go with synthetic stuff?     (NYC)  I heard leaks can occur from
> switching.
> Q:  Did I miss anything?

Funny you should ask - I just ran in my fresh motor yesterday at Summit Point
- put about 120 miles on it.  Start out with an organic oil (10W-40 Castrol is
my choice).  Discontinue any friction-reducer products until the motor is
broken in.  Run the motor thru it's entire rev band, including some full
throttle.  Avoid drag racing.  After about 500 street miles, I'd change the
oil with more break-in oil.  1000 miles after the first change, do it again,
then 2000 miles afterwards.  From that point forward, you can begin using your
friction reducers and synthtic oil.

What block seals didn't you replace?  Front and rear crank seals?  Why NOT!
You were 99% of the way there!!  FYI, switching between organic and synthetic
oils does not cause leaks.  Synthetics, due to their pumpability, tend to find
leaks that organics don't find.  Those same leaks exist regardless, just that
organics don't flow well enough to care.
===
Matthew Yip
mgyip@yahoo.com

'87 GTi 16v :)