stalling problem continues; help?

First off, thanks to you guys who helped me get this far...

Again, 81 Scirocco. Stock engine, etc.

One morning I was ready to go to work, and the car had trouble
starting, and as it went back to idle, it died instantly. As long as I
held my foot on the gas, giving it at least some, it seemed to run. As
it died, the tach did a nose dive and hit 0 rpm hard.

Later that day, I tried starting it, and nothing at all happened. I
replaced the fuel filter and saw much nasty brown liquid come out (and
was glad that wasn't inside my fuel distro!).

I then checked for some spark, and saw nothing. I checked for voltage
before the coil, and got nothing (I hooked up a working 12v light bulb
to the wires, and nothing. [one wire to positive double connector, and
one to one of the grounds]... the light should have blinked as I
cranked, no?).

Now, I have to find out why no power is getting to the coil. If I read
my Bentley correctly, the coil wire hooks up to terminal #15 on the
back of the fuse box, and is not fused.

I still haven't opened the out end of the fuel filter to see if fuel
spurts out as I crank, so if the computer knows it's getting no fuel,
will it not tell the coil to spark?

Could the computer be shot?
Could something be fouled inside the fuse box?

Frustrated,
-Dave
'88 OldsmoBuick Delta 88 (stop the madness! I want my 'rocco!)