Re: [16v Tech] Rear caliper install

Neal Tovsen wrote:

> Hey y'all!
>
> I just replaced the rear calipers on my 16v with some remanufactured ones.
> Now that they're on, my brake pedal seems to travel a LONG way before the
> brakes engage. Yes, I bled the whole system after the install with Castrol
> fluid. Twice to make sure.
>
> They seem to work fine once they engage, but there isn't much room left
> before the pedal hits the floor, so it makes me nervous. Anybody know what's
> wrong? It wasn't like this before, and I've put used calipers on my other
> 16v and had no problems. Could it be the new calipers?
>
> Not as important, but the parking brake SUCKS too. I can pull it up pretty
> hard, but it doesn't hold the car. With the car jacked-up, you can turn the
> wheels fairly easily with your hands. I have yet to see a working parking
> brake on a 16v...
>
> Neal

These two things gotta be related.

Remanu makes it having new seals and such, I hope. Capacity of fluid
makes for the same feed back, except if;

1. The rear units are sim. but not the same. Maybe they are from a diff.
year, make. ????

2. They are reman but not up to the standards that would perform w/
peace of mind, in mind.

When the rear units were removed a long a** bubble could have worked
itself up into the system, even to the point of working itself into the
M/C.

Expensive but good to run a bunch more brake fluid through the system in
the interest of bubble eradication.

hth,
TBerk